I accidentally started a thing this year where every time I find myself standing in front of my peers at work presenting something, I’ve been wearing homemade. I was scheduled to present on our first Monday back from break, and on Saturday I kinda flipped out and scrambled for something new to make. The only pattern I had printed and ready to cut was the Vermont Cardigan, and I went all out and made the hooded, banded-bottom tunic length because I was gifted three yards of snuggly sweater knit for Christmas.
I made the cardigan in XL, though L probably would have fit. With this soft fabric I wanted something loose and snuggly. The pattern comes in xx-small through size 26, and I regret not tracing before cutting, because it would make a great gift.
As usual with a new pattern, I didn’t adjust anything for my first attempt. I’ve sewn New Horizons before, and the tops tend to fit me well without alteration. I did leave off the buttons though, because yikes! On a sweater knit? Too hard!
This pattern, like the Riviera Raglan, has a huge number of options. Hooded, crew, v-neck, in crop, hip, or tunic length with or without bottom band, belted or not, buttons or not, and various sleeve lengths. The best little option – pockets! And of course I choose those!
It took me about an hour to cut it out, both because the cutting layout isn’t exactly specific to the options I had chosen, and because I’d already used some of my 3-yard cut to make an infinity scarf. 🙂 I goofed and cut the front and back bodice pieces too long (I should have cut on the line for the banded tunic length, not the tunic length, and accidentally cut on the v-neck line instead of the crew neck line. Luckily, there was enough fabric left for me to save myself, and now I know to watch out for that.
New Horizons’ directions aren’t always easy for me to follow. I’m thinking specifically of how difficult it was for me to figure out how to sew the thumb-hole cuffs for the Riviera Raglan – it took me several failed attempts to wrap my mind around it! The directions weren’t explicit enough, and the pictures didn’t make up the difference. With the Vermont, there were places where the directions left out things like “with right sides together”, but the pictures filled in those gaps nicely.
In the end it took me a few hours from cut to finish. As it started to take shape, I got giddier and giddier. It is my favorite article of clothing made so far, and I actually wore it to work twice last week! I clearly need to make a few more!